Comment to this entry and I'll pick three of your fandoms. You must then update your journal and answer the following questions:
01) What got you into this fandom in the first place?
02) Do you think you'll stay in this fandom or eventually move on?
03) Favorite episodes/books/movies/etc.?
04) Do you participate in this fandom (fanfiction, graphics, discussions)?
05) Do you think that more people should get into this fandom?
dreams_of_honey tagged me with The Guardian, Battlestar Galactica, and Supernatural (not that I have many to choose from).
1) I started watching the show by chance. I was channel surfing at the time, and happened to catch the last scene of Feeding Frenzy where Nick showed up at the AA meeting. For mere fleeting seconds, the conflicting emotions displayed on Nick's face left lasting impression on me. I could see part of him desperately wanted to go in, yet another part of him was so reluctant, and afraid. I didn't even know at the time why he had to be there, but I knew I was sold on the drama and wanted to find out more. The rest was history. In no time, I was hooked on this tarnished hero, and the story of his redemption.
2) It's kind of a moot point since the show has long been defunct (CBS I hate you!) But I find myself think back on Nick, his merits, as well as his problems from time to time. This show also gave me my first taste of a complicated father-and-son relationship.
3) I'm always fond of Lolita, and this funny little scene where the emotionally stunted
4) As much as I enjoy reading fanfictions, I'm not into doing it for this fandom. For some reason, I just don't want to see Nick in anything other than the absolute canon, not even the fill in missing-scenes. But I did participate in character discussions when the show was aired.
5) I absolutely think more people should get into the show. On the other hand, it's hard-to-do. Not only this show is defunct, it is also not available on DVDs. I'm convinced it's an ego thing with the network. While any crappy shows ever aired on TV was released on DVDs, this quality show never got the chance! I still tried to "spread the words" though. I uploaded several episodes from s1 on YouTube to share with my friends. But I had to stop because I don't want to get into copyright issues. Judging by the amount of people subscribing my videos (I feel really bad about this because the likelihood of me upload more episode is slim to none), I'd say the show still garnish large enough interest after so many years.
1) My friend qqzj browbeat me into watching the show in the beginning of 2006. By then The Guardian had been off the air for quite some time. I generally quit watching TV because I was so angry with the network for canceling my show. There were three "talking points" she made that got my attention: Times magazine named BSG among the best shows on television; it has a very dark theme; and it has a problematic father-and-son relationship. The end result was: sold!
2) The series is ended too. I can't say I'm all that happy with the 2nd half of its last season. And I can't say I'm interested at all in the rumored TV movie about the cylons before the holocaust. But I may give the prequel Caprica a try because I like actress Polly Walker from Rome, and heard she has a large part in the story. As to fanfictions, I'll never get tired of reading another Lee-centric story. But I have to find time to do it first.
3) As a Lee fan, my favorite episodes tend to be Lee-centric (in the order they were shown): The Miniseries, 33, Bastille Day, The Hand of God, Kobol's Last Gleaming II, Valley of Darkness, Home II, Sacrifice, The Captain's Hand, Exodus II, Unfinished Business, Taking a Break from All Your Worries, The Son Also Rise, Crossroads I & II, Sine Qua Non, and Revelations.
4) Yes, I went all the way with discussions, reading fanfics, making icons and banners. I even dabbed my hand in fanfic writing for the first time ever, with disastrous result -- I'm yet to finish them!
5) It's funny I keep hearing not many people watched this show. But from where I work, there are so many interests from all over; I constantly ran into fellow fans of the show at the most improbable places. But yes, I would like to see more people give this series a try. It is an epic story. As such, one cannot enjoy it unless he/she starts from the beginning. The journey, though problematic at places, is still well worth the try.
1) Apollo's Lady (a.k.a yor) and silwyna literally shoved season one DVDs into my hands and told me to finish them within a week (of which I did!) Hammerings from "little sis" evening-spirit @ LJ also influenced my decision to give this show a try. None too soon after I started watching, I was sucked into the richly portrayed brotherhood relationship. I'm largely indebted to these three for showing me a fantastic fandom to sink my teeth in!
2) Yep, I'm staying for the loooooong haul! I hope this show stays around for a while longer. But even if it ends at season 5, I will still happily stay inside the bubble of this fandom as long as the talented writers here continue to write their stories.
3) There are so many I probably am forgetting some. But I really like (in the order they were aired): Asylum, Faith, Devil's Trap, In My Time of Dying, Born Under a Bad Sign, What Is and What Should Never Be, All Hell Break Loose II, Bad Day at Black Rock, Jus In Bello, No Rest for the Wicked, Lazarus Rising, In the Beginning, Monster Movie, Yellow Fever, Heaven and Hell, On the Head of a Pin, It's a Terrible Life, The Monster at the End of This Book, Jump the Shark, and Lucifer Rising. Phew!
4) I'm heavily involved in reading fanfictions (RPS too) and participating in the discussions. I don't see my involvement in this fandom is going to abate anytime soon. I even tried my hand in writing a ficlet (which is a shocker). Oh, I also am trying my hand at making fanart at the moment.
5) Absolutely! I wish this show can go mainstream. The more the merrier. In particular, I would love for laurie31 to join in on our obsession here. I just don't know how to go about doing it. o.O